Search This Blog

Monday, May 30, 2011

WATER

the boys.

celebrating a win in Ninja

the whole gang and some kids from Florida that came to help

Paola
     For the past two days all of the water in the city has been shut down. Visiting el Rio has become a little more difficult as I have weighed not being able to shower and the happiness of all the children. It is difficult to know that you are putting yourself in some discomfort for a greater cause. When we play baseball or tag, I have been thinking twice about running through the swampy water or near the pigs and grungy dogs.
    This morning when I woke up, ironically it was pouring. I couldn't help but think to myself how frustrating the whole thing was. While the rain was coming down, there was no way for me to shower or wash my hands and I was completely fixated on it. I headed to el Rio, was soaked in rain water and baby kisses and came home feeling like I had been camping in the wilderness for years.
    The highlight of my day was at the internet cafe today. The town of Jaco has only one main street and the internet cafe that I sit at has a second floor balcony where you can perch over the main thoroughfare. So, it usually doesn't take long for the boys from el Rio to see me sitting up there working on something and come and find me (or just to steal my computer and check their facebooks). Today, the internet was working better than it has the entire time I have been in Costa Rica and I got the chance to video chat my roommate and my mom with the guys. It was really neat for them to meet my family and for my family to meet them.
    Later, I was talking to Erin and just explained how difficult it has been for me to really feel like I am helping sometimes. I have so much fun with them and it is obvious that they are genuinely happy but then you know in the back of your head that bad things are still going to happen to them regardless of your efforts. In a small way, this same feeling reminds me of the lack of water and still visiting el Rio. While, the risk of not taking a shower and being dirty is not very comforting, the satisfaction of being with the kids during the day makes up for it. Similarly, while knowing that at times the lives of my new friends are going to be tougher than I could ever imagine, the time that we have spent together is a great comfort. I know that they have experienced something genuine and loving. As for me, I am more grateful for the love I have at home and feel like a piece of my heart can never be replaced by anything but the Tico friends I now call family.

No comments:

Post a Comment