Search This Blog

Sunday, May 22, 2011

PHOTOGRAPHS

David running to do some intense boogie boarding! He loves to do little spins at the end of the wave.

Owen (my favorite) watching the waves with his big smile... he is always smiling and SOOOOO patient I have never seen anything like it.

Renee spends ALL of his time out on the waves.

Davie is the clown of the group as exhibited by his crazy falls :)

            When I first arrived, I was hesitant to bring out my camera. Not only was robbery highly likely in fact, my small camera was stolen within the first few days, but also I was afraid of taking pictures of the children in exchange for their sense of dignity. When you are in a community that is their home, making a photo shoot your chance at National Geographic isn’t the best way to respect new friends.
            A few days ago, I brought my camera out in el Rio for the first time and I was startled by how excited the kids were. Their trust in me by then had become strong and they were eager to see their face on the display of the camera. The older boys beg me to meet them in front of the house at the beach each day and take pictures while they surf. Yesterday, I dragged a beach towel and my zoom lens to capture every wave—the boys were stoaked!
            Today, we headed to a cachi vachi sale which is a big yard sale. Once we got there, all of the kids were dressed up in the best clothes they had with gelled hair and fancy shoes. It was fun to see that the parents cared about the kids and had spent time for them instead of themselves. I ran into Tito and he had his hair spiked, a fancy belt, and suede shoes. I can’t say that the new attire made him less of a terror but it was precious to see.
            I think the time that it takes to sit on the beach for two hours taking pictures of the boys while they surf, braiding a little girl’s hair, or even making little Tito feel special with a clean shirt is really what my trip here is all about. It is rare that people take time to fully be there for another person. Even more rare is that opportunity for the kids here. They are overlooked, and feel unimportant. So today I am taking photographs and taking time and offering it all up to the kids.

P.S.
   Hiking to day with the boys on a monkey search and I am so excited!

No comments:

Post a Comment