Search This Blog

Saturday, May 7, 2011

L'Arshe


Some of the core-members and me hanging out after a long day of farming.

Les with his Elvis shirt, leather jacket, and puzzle!
            A month ago, I went on a mini service retreat in Tacoma Washington where a group of about ten University of Portland students volunteered with the L’arshe community (link to L’arshe page is on the sidebar of the blog). This was my first encounter with the community and the effective model that the organization provided for the population they were serving struck me. The model is one of simplicity. The L’arshe community is built on the humble fact that each of us is disabled in some way whether it be one of noticeable mental or physical capacity, or if we appear to be relatively “able”. In each L’arshe home, there are people with various mental disabilities (called core-members) that live with people that work to establish independence for the core-members in their everyday lives.
            Attached to one of the houses is a farm where the housemates work during the week. In so doing, they have a sustainable business that provides healthy food for everyone that lives in the houses and then they are able to sell the large surplus at various farmer’s markets. While I was playing in the mud and transplanting small plants, I met Les. He is a core-member that has lived in one of the houses for many years. Instantaneously, we became attached. He loves Elvis and at dinner on the last night, we spent the time dancing while I pretended to be his number one girl.
            The retreat lasted all weekend and gave me and the other students a break from the rush of school and social activities that surround a college campus. We were allowed to just enjoy our time with each other and ourselves. The most touching part of the trip for me was the genuine love that Les had for me. Here I was, a stranger, and new but, he welcomed me happily. I showed him a little love and he gave it all back; it was a beautiful moment to be a part of.

No comments:

Post a Comment