Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

SUSPENDED ON A WIRE


Me, Rob, and Aimee from the first lookout.

On top of the world!

Straight through the canyon!
         Today we went zip lining across the canopy of the Costa Rican rainforest. Before beginning, there was one thing running through my mind, the failed attempt at the ropes course my Senior year of high school. PC sisters I am proud to say that I was 780 feet above the ground today hanging by a wire and I didn’t cry, or scream! As we climbed up the mountain in order to get to the first platform, I could feel the butterflies in my stomach; I didn’t know if it was because of the heights or just the excitement of my first touristy adventure of my stay here in Costa Rica.
            Even though you go in a group, the zip lining really is a reflective time for the individual. You are alone for most all of it as you weave through the trees. There was a time when I was sitting on the wire today that methodically thought about what was going on. Here I was, in a tropical rain forest, in a country far from home, and a wire no thicker than my finger was holding me above gum trees, monkey homes, and an ocean.
            The idea of being suspended on a wire made me think of all the things that have to go right in order for things to just be. There are so many variables with swinging across the branches: the ropes, harnesses, platforms all have to be set in place in order for the process to work. Here in Jaco, there is no doubt that often there is a sense of hopelessness. While sometimes you feel like what you are doing each day gives you great purpose and adds to the community’s strength. Other days, you wonder if what you are doing is strong enough to last the first rainstorm that blows through once you leave.
            Sitting on the wire today I felt like I could see the whole world. The ocean went on for miles and the tree-tops were endless. Perhaps, playing the tourist role gives you a different perspective that is just as important as missionary. Seeing the beauty of Jaco gave me the chance to see the opportunity that was waiting here for the kids. Hooked on to wires is a new leap of faith; it isn’t exactly your body’s usual mode of transportation. Once you get to the first platform though, there is no way to turn back except to go forward. Despite the fear, the shaky platform, or the persistent bugs, there was no other choice but to continue. I think the same goes with my adventure here in Costa Rica. When I get on a plane in 7 days, the adventure is not over: the kids will be in my heart, and my mission to help them see the better life that they can have is only a matter of shifting their perspective.
            With the days I have left, I need to build a harness with love and a long wire from their hearts to mine. Then the trick is to just stay suspended with a little hope that the future will be better.

No comments:

Post a Comment