Search This Blog

Thursday, March 17, 2011

DRAWING A LINE


Senior Los Ninos Retreat Group with Mr. K in the Back
            I spent some of the day at my old high school and was reminded of how blessed I was. Somewhere in some book or movie I once learned that only 1% of the world has a college degree. Sitting in one of my old classrooms I couldn’t help but think about how part of that 1% was going to be me.
            Today in class, we talked about consumer choices and how important the consumer is in the process of deciding what products are going to be sold. The classic argument was presented: if we stop buying from big corporations who don’t care for their workers, then aren’t we decreasing the amount of jobs available for people that need them? Questions like this are hard to answer because of how many people the solutions affect and how many variables are involved.
            Mr. K, the teacher, talked about a “line” that we need to set and maintain. He said that we are responsible for providing for ourselves and our families so that they can stay healthy, safe, and happy. But, when we can provide for our families in this way and then we have a surplus of money or time, then we are responsible for serving those who need it. We have a call he explained to the poor and the vulnerable.
            With a college education, you would think that these issues become easier to solve. In a perfect world, all the reading, writing, midterms, and presentations could offer solutions. I think the solution can be found in education. Today, thirty girls sat in a room and questioned the way the world worked. They shared their opinions and they created stronger opinions—this is learning. This summer, if a few more people are supported, if I can make the children in Costa Rica question the way the world works then perhaps I can be a part of the best solution. Education allows people to stand up for themselves so with my time commitment this summer, I am assessing my “line” and teaching others that they can too.

No comments:

Post a Comment